Tuesday, August 6, 2013

McKay's Birth Story


McKay Kevin Mohlman joined our family on July 25th at 10:44 PM! It was a rather quick delivery and was relatively painless. Here's the birth story: 

*my friend Stacia Klemas from Stacia Klemas Photography took some of these pictures and my mom took some as well. Stacia was there to do the birth photography for us! Thanks Stacia!! (And Thanks mom for the pics too!)

I had basically been in labor for a month. I was having contractions about 7-10 minutes apart for weeks and every once in a while they would get 5-7 minutes apart. They were getting painful as the days went on, and I ended up getting checked at the hospital 2 times to see if it was real labor. Obviously both times they sent me home, because although I was contracting regularly, my cervix wasn't dilating. 

As most of you know, I hate being pregnant. Not that I am not grateful when I am pregnant because I really did feel blessed, but it's not easy for me. All the throwing up, the IV fluids, the aches, the tiredness... I just don't function well when I am pregnant. This pregnancy was worse than Mia's in my opinion. And, like you read in my last post, was added with some unpleasant heart tachycardia. I keep telling myself that I am done, never having more, although I love LOVE newborns/kids.. I just cant bear the thought of having to do another pregnancy. But I know come a year or two I will be baby hungry again and will probably feel like we have to continue adding to our family at one point or another. And I also know there are people who have worse off pregnancies than I have, but I must just be more wimpy. 

So by the time I hit week 36, I was so so ready to be done.  Thats when I went in and figured out about my heart issue. It scared me to death, and I honestly was worried about how my delivery would go.. if I would pass out, if the baby would get enough oxygen.. all these worries were going through my head. But, alas, I made it two more weeks. I was to get induced August 1st, (6 days before my due date) but McKay decided to come one week before that! YAY. I remember the day before I had him I was just bawling my eyes out. I was telling Kevin that I just could not go one more day being pregnant. I had just gone in for IV fluids that week from throwing up 10 times in 24 hours and I just physically didnt want to endure it anymore. I just wanted it to be over and to be holding my sweet baby boy. I prayed that night that at my appointment the next day, the doctor would say I was far enough dilated that we could just go to the hospital and get things going. It was still two weeks early so I was a little nervous but just hoped for the best. 


The next morning, I convinced myself that that was the day. The 25th was going to be his birthday. I was determined to push that baby out by the end of the day. I went to Target that morning and got a few things I needed for his diaper bag (binkys and diaper rash cream and a changing pad). When I got home, I showered, did my makeup, and let my hair air dry curly. My doctors appointment was at 1:45 that day, and my bestie Kenna was going to go with me since Kevin had to go into work. I told Kevin that if anything happened I would call and he could meet us at the hospital. 

I packed up Mia in the car and headed to pick up Kenna from her house. We then headed down to my doctor (which is in Payson.) Kenna had packed water, snacks, and brought a trash bag incase I threw up. Haha. What a good friend! Always planning ahead :) Dr. Crouch planned to strip my membranes that day and I was SO nervous because I remember it hurting so bad with Mia.. and the fact that my uterus is tilted was going to make it hurt even worse! I told Kenna she had to hold my hand. The Dr. went to check my cervix and said "Hey, you are at a 5!!" and then quickly stripped my membranes which this time didnt hurt at all. He said he was positive I was going to go into labor that night. He said "Don't make me a liar.. but I will see you at the hospital tonight!" He advised me to go in as soon as I started having timeable contractions since I was already so far dilated. I was also 75% effaced. I kinda started worrying that I wouldnt make it to the hospital in time for an epidural.. and I am ALL for the meds and no pain. So I think I kinda put my body in a stress and thats probably what really started the contractions. 

On the way home, I was having contractions 4 minutes apart. So, off to home Kenna took me to make sure we had Mia's overnight bag packed for her stay at grammy's, my hospital bag, and the diaper bag. We got all that put together and by 5 pm we were at the hospital! 

I called Kevin and my mom, and his mom too. His mom was going to meet us at the hospital to take Mia and my mom was going to come watch the birth with Kenna and Kevin. When I went to check in on the Labor and Delivery floor, they informed me that they had no rooms available... um, what?! She said if worse came down to worse I would deliver in the operating room. Oh crap. She said I had to wait in the waiting room till a room became available. Then I REALLY started stressing... um, with every contraction I was getting closer, and I really wanted that epidural before I had to push! Around 5:20 they finally called me back to a room! They checked me and I was STILL at a 5. Dang it. So I asked for my epidural and they said they had to keep me for an hour to see if I changed before they could give the epi. At this point I could still talk and walk through my contractions, but they were getting stronger and I was having a few contractions that I had to pause and breathe deep. While I was hooked up to the monitor, my pulse was at 250... and stayed there for about 5 minutes. I was feeling light headed and could feel my heart beating so fast. 


The nurses and my OB decided that no matter what they were going to keep me to watch my heart and my OB was certain that once I got my epi I would relax and things would get going. Still, they decided to move me into a special room that had a heart monitor to monitor me closer. Thank goodness, because the room had great views and was huge!! 

Here are some pics of me getting my IV and epi. Kevin stepped out to get dinner at that time because he gets really queasy with needles and I didnt want him passing out. So, Kenna was my hand squeezer! 



Here are a few pictures- my view, my room number, me filling out paper work, my contractions, baby's heart rate, me eating my fave treat (pebbled ice with lime flavor), the white board welcoming McKay, the amount of pitocen I was on (Doc had another delivery in Payson and I was fine on pit so I could have the baby quicker to ensure I got the doc to deliver me before he had to go deliver the other girl!), and again my ice! 

Once I had my epi, it was a party in my room. We were all laughing, the Doc was cracking jokes, I had a fun nurse.. It was fun. I was REALLY tired but could not fall asleep. I was too anxious. My OB had a resident working with him, his name was Ben. I loved him! He was super funny and I felt completely comfortable with him. He seemed very experienced. 

My epidural was perfect because I couldn't feel pain, but I could feel pressure so I kind of knew when I was ready. With Mia's I had no idea and thats probably part of the reason I pushed for 2 dang hours. The doctor broke my water a little after I got my epidural and I felt like fluid was coming out for EVER. I had extra fluid with this baby so I am sure it really was coming out for a long time. We soon noticed the baby's oxygen was dropping, so I had to get oxygen to help out the little guy. 



Around 10:30 the nurse came in to check me. I was at an 8. She said she was going to go get the Doc and start getting things ready to push. I was so excited! Less than 5 minutes later, the Doc came in. He said he was going to check me. I told him the nurse had just done that and I was at an 8. He said he still wanted to check me because his 8 and her 8 could be different. So, he checked me and said "You are at a 10, and here comes a contraction so PUSH! 10,9,8,7...." They literally were throwing on their delivery clothes and gloves and pulling my legs up in the stirrups as he was counting. We all were kinda just in shock like wait! What! Its time?! I did feel lots of pressure before he checked me, as if I knew the baby was ready to come. Such a cool feeling! 

Scrambling to get ready to deliver my baby!


Now came the scary part. Less than 10 minutes after pushing, he was there! At 10:44 PM, McKay was here. 7lbs 5oz. 18 inches long. I couldnt believe how fast he came out. I didnt even tear! While I was pushing they realized he was posterior, so the doctor had to turn his head. (Which thankfully I didnt feel!!) When he came out, the cord was wrapped around his head twice really tight. The doctors untangled it quickly, but McKay wasn't crying, moving, or appear to be breathing. The minute he came out and I saw how purple he was I just about had a heart attack. It was Mia all over again, but worse. (Mia was purple and not breathing too when she came out.) 

As excited as I was that he was here, I was crying because I was so scared he wasn't going to start breathing. He really was lifeless. His whole body was limp. I looked at my mom and she was crying as well.. Kevin I think was freaking out a little too because it just brought back memories of Mia's birth and the NICU all over again.. 

I wanted to cut the cord, so I did! It was awesome. But the longer he was on my chest, the more purple he became. 

The Respiratory team and NICU nurses came in to take care of him. The doc kept asking if they had pushed 'code' and to get the oxygen for him going. The oxygen machine in there wasn't working for him so the team had to bring another one in. All this time I just wanted to see what was going on but I had to stay where I was. Tears were just flowing down my face from pure fear. Kevin and I were quiet as my mom was over by the baby with tears welling up in her eyes too. FINALLY, after almost 5 minutes since he was born, he let out a little cry. His Apgar score was a 1. So the NICU team said he had to go up there to be on the CPAP machine and be watched over for a bit. I was devastated, but glad he was finally breathing! I begged to hold him again but they said no, so Kevin made them wheel McKay over to me for me to at least touch his cheek and hold his hand before they took him away.  

The team workin on my baby. They didnt even weigh him or measure him in my room. They took him right away. I was so sad I didnt even know how much he weighed when they took him! 

Tearing up for my baby..

His face got terribly bruised from being posterior- you can see it here. 


He finally turned pink everywhere but his poor bruised face. 

Touching his sweet cheeks before he left.


Off to the NICU he went..

Kevin and I after it was all said and done.. relieved to not be pregnant anymore!! 

That's all I have time for tonight. Time to feed baby and go to bed :) Part two coming soon! 

By the way, people have asked how his name came about. We had the hardest time choosing a name! We didnt choose his name until right as they were taking him to the NICU. The night before I had him, my neice was telling me that Kevin used to call himself "Me-K". She said we should name our baby McKay because of that. I thought it was super cute that Kevin called him self Me-K and it sounded so similar to McKay.. It would be a cute story to tell. When he finally arrived I asked Kevin what he wanted to name him and he told me I could name him whatever I wanted! So, McKay Kevin it was! :)

3 comments:

Heather Phillips said...

Gillian,
This was a beautiful post. I teared up thinking about what you must have been going through those few minutes. You are so strong! I am so happy he is doing good now and that delivery went great! So happy for you!

Alex and Becca said...

That Kevin is a GEM! So sweet. I loved reading how he got his name. That little boy has the best name story. So glad he is healthy and you are too!!

The Duke said...

It was a privilege to be there. Your high heart rate was what kept me in that room. I was pretty worried about you. And then when the baby was born, I was worried about him. I'm so glad you have a beautiful baby boy who is healthy.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...