Monday, June 18, 2012

Fathers Day

I can't believe I can call Kevin a father now. Lucky me! 

He really has just fallen right into this father role. It's only been 3 1/2 months but he is a pro already. He is always washing his hands, washing the binky, changing diapers, making baby smile, putting her in the carseat (without her crying, might I add... I somehow always manage to make her cry every time I put her in), checking on her when he gets home at night, and a million other things that just make him a great daddy. 

If any of you didn't know this, he was not excited to be a dad. We had heard from the doctor that it could take us a while to get pregnant given my womanly issues.. so we just decided not to worry about it (well, HE decided not to worry about it) and let things happen. I wanted a baby ASAP, and he was all for waiting a couple of years. We 'tried' (meaning, no prevention) for over a year, and not once in that time did I ovulate or have a period. I thought I was never going to be a mother! He on the other hand was not worried and knew it would happen when the time was right. (He always told me that.) Well, the time came, and I felt SO happy and knew it was the right time. He however did not think it was the right time, and was not prepared. He kept saying 'i'm just not ready. we didn't prepare for this yet. I thought we would maybe have to try for a few years, or adopt..' his worried were finances. He wanted to be able to provide for our little one. He also was worried I would get sick, since all his sisters were sick the whole 9 months. Unluckily, I was sick the whole 9 months as well... 

But, the day came, and Mia was born, Feb. 29th, 2012, and Kevin was instantly a father. There was no 'what do I do' or 'how do I do' or 'when do I do'. it was what CAN i do (to help) and taking  charge. it was taking extra shifts at work to help pay any diapers or wipes bill.. hehe. It was getting up in the middle of the night when I was tired, although he had to get up at 7 for school. It was changing those blowouts when he had never changed a diaper in his life before this. It was singing silly songs to Mia and making her smile from ear to ear. He has just been a natural! 

I cannot even explain how much my love has grown for my husband as I have watched the care and love he has given Mia. I have loved watching him be a father and do not know how I got so lucky. I know Mia will grow up saying 'I want to marry someone just like my daddy..." because he is patient, kind, loving, funny, responsible, smart, and spiritual. How could you not want to marry someone with those qualities? 

For Fathers Day, we were still in St. George, but I got up early and made him some scrambled eggs, pancakes, and bacon. I let him sleep in and I was going to bring him breakfast in bed, but he got up too early. :P We had to travel home that day, but We did get to stop by my dad's house on the way home and then at his dad's house on the way home. When we finally got home, I gave Kevin the gift of pampering. I made a little coupon for him to get a 1 hour massage and to have his favorite dinner and dessert, and to have a foot scrub too. Maybe even a scalp massage if I am feeling up for that. Lucky guy right there. :) 

Just a quick shout out to my dad, and Kevins dad as well. 

Dad, I love you so much and I know we haven't always gotten along, but I have always loved that you are a spiritual person. I have loved that you always have held the priesthood so I could ask for a blessing at any time of day and you would give me one. I loved that you taught me how to pray and to make the Gospel a priority in my life. And, thanks for taking such good care of Ammon, we all love you so much! 

Carl, Thanks for being a good example of a father so that Kevin could follow in your footsteps! You are such a great man- and although you don't speak many words, the words you do speak are wise and kind. I love you, and Kevin and Mia sure love you too. 

Happy Fathers Day to everyone, I hope it was the best day. 


1 comment:

The Duke said...

Such a nice post! You and Kevin make a wonderful couple and are wonderful parents. I'm glad you found each other. (Thanks, Wendy, for helping it along.)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...