Tuesday, May 8, 2012

{family history} part 3 - teenage years and college

Growing up, teenage years

*What activities did you participate in?  (Sports, dancing, music, arts, etc.)  Explain what you did with each activity.
 I kind of already talked about this in my last family history post, but oh well. I played softball in 6th grade. Loved it, was horrible at it. :) I started dancing at age 5 and I still dance here and there to this day. I took Ballet, Jazz, Tap, and Lyrical. I played the piano for maybe 6 months. I hated it. Which is funny because I LOVE to play the piano now, and wish I took lessons so I could play more of the hymns. I mostly play by ear now- although I can read notes. I just have a hard time figuring out what key to play it in and flats and sharps stuff. In high school, I did show choir. I loved it. It was the best time of my life! SO much fun. Yes, I was a choir Zoobie but I don't even care because we were dang good. I had lots of solos, and we got to dance lots and go on tour to Florida, California, and Branson Missouri. 
*How did you learn how to drive?  What kind of car did you have? 
I learned to drive from Steve Linford! He is my friend Kilee's dad. He would take me, Kilee, Eliza, and Camilla down to the church parking lot and let us drive. We would sit in his lap and steer. As we got older he would let us drive by ourselves while he sat in the passenger side. We had so much fun doing that. I can't believe he let us do that! haha. The first time I drove on the freeway was when I was 15, and it was a few months before I turned 16 I believe. I didn't have my learners permit I don't think... or maybe I did? Mom do you remember? Anyway, I drove from Elk Ridge to Nephi with my mom in the car. We went to a fabric store down there. I remember how scary it was! I loved to drive though. Then, when I started taking early morning drivers ed, my dad was always too tired to drive so he let me drive us there. Haha. 

I never had my own car, although I did get to take the car to school sometimes. First, it was the Geo Prism. I loved that car! It was dark green. Then, I learned to drive the truck. It was a stick shift. It was a ranger? I think.. Then, it was the white Geo Tracker. I drove that car the most. That little piece of crap...

*Who were your friends?  I never really had a 'group' that I hung out with ALL The time. My best friends were Ally and Brittney, but I hung out with lots of different people. I had my choir friends, my Elk Ridge friends, my ally/brittney group of friends... So I usually just hung out with whoever was available. 

*Did you have a girl/boy friend?  Talk about him/her (if your spouse is okay with it!).
 Haha. Yes, I had boyfriends. I was one of those people that never felt good about myself unless I had a boy. And for some reason, I never dated a Spanish Fork boy really. I always dated the boys who went to Payson High. I guess I did date one Spanish Fork boy, but I was only 15 so I wouldn't say he was officially my boyfriend.. we just kissed sometimes and hung out. Haha. His name was Andrew Jensen, and he was my first kiss. I also dated Alan Colver when I was 15. We kissed a few times too.. which is so funny. We were in the same ward and I had a crush on him for the longest time. We never saw eachother except for at church and on mutual nights. In the summers though we all played night games alot. Then, at 16, I dated a boy named Brandon Smith for a year. Kevin has a hard time with that one ;) After him, I dated John Tipton for another year, wrote him on his mission while I dated a few boys here and there, then met Kevin, and the rest is history! 
by the way, here is an aerial view of my highschool. 
*What did you like/dislike about school? I loved my friends, and choir. I hated homework, and math. I have always been horrible at math, and it was a really hard subject for me. I also loved my anatomy class, although I really didn't end up getting a good grade. I missed school alot due to migraines. 

*What was your first paid job? my first paid job was babysitting which I started at like age 11. But if you count my first job as a 16 year old, it was a courtesy clerk at Maceys in Spanish Fork. 

College years

*Did you attend college or a trade school of some sort? I went to MATC Cosmetology from 2007-2009. Yes, it took me two years to get through it, because I went to part time school for a while since I needed to work more and save money. 

*How did you choose what you wanted to be when you grew up? I always wanted to do hair and makeup when I was growing up and had been coloring my moms hair since I was in junior high. I guess it just fit me? I did want to be a singer as well, but that for some reason never felt like something I should pursue, so now I just have fun singing when I can. 
*What did you think was the hardest thing about your chosen profession at that time?  Did it turn out that way? I think the hardest thing about choosing to be a hair stylist is the stereotyping people put on me. They think I am dumb and thats why I chose to go to hair school. But, that is not the case. I can be a stay at home mom and do hair from home. That way I will still earn money, and get to do the thing I love most while staying at home to be a mother! Lucky me. 

*What dumb things did you do during those years? I fought alot with my parents. I wish I could go back and make things between us better at that time. As I have grown older though, things have healed over time and I have learned alot about how to let things go, and I have more respect for them. 

*What good things did you do? I taught Musical Theater for about 5 years, and I loved it! I loved being around little kids. They kept me having fun! I have to say though that this time in my life I was not very service oriented. I do much more service now. Sad that I didn't do more good things for people. :( 

*Did you live on your own?  How well prepared were you for that? I lived with my parents until I was 20. Then I lived with my friend Brittney and her family for about 4 months until I got married. I loved living with them, and learned a lot. Her parents basically didn't have a curfew for me as long as I told them where I was, who I Was with, and let them know if I was going to be home past one. I never was home past one, but thats because I found no reason to be out that late, unless it was just Britt Ally and I out having adventures at the hot pots. So I guess I learned how to be responsible. 
my room I shared with Britt!

hangin out with gwen, ally, britt, and mallory after i moved in with britt. 
*What life lessons did you learn? I learned that life is NOT easy, and that you have to work hard for what you want! I also learned that not everyone is perfect and that it's okay not to be O.K. 

*What choices did you make that affect where you are now? I didn't make any bad choices like drinking or drugs or sex or whatever. I would say my choices I made (going to church, choosing good friends, living high standards) gave me the lucky chance of being sealed on the temple to my cute hubby for time and all eternity. Thank goodness :) The choices I made helped me to be in a good place that I am in now. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...