Friday, March 9, 2012

the birth story *lots of pictures, and long post*

this is going to be super long.. and could get detailed. fair warning :) (dont worry, no gross pictures or anything like that)

basically, my labor and delivery was so great. yea, it was painful, and long, but looking back, it really was such an amazing experience. here is the story...

Tuesday the 28th I went into the doctor for my weekly check up. I was dilated to a 1.5 still (same as the week before) but my effacement had improved from 65% to 75%. She asked if I wanted her to strip my membranes again but I said no since the time before it hurt like a mother.. plus, she said they would induce me the next week, Monday March 5th.. (a week early) so I figured I better just wait and let it happen on its own or plan on getting induced.

That day when I got home, I decided I had better pack my hospital bag and make sure the diaper bag was all packed up too. There were dishes in the sink and lots of dirty clothes but I figured I could do that the next day... so I ended up resting most of Tuesday. (bad idea!)

The next day, Wednesday the 29th (leap day!) Kevin had school. He had to give a big presentation in his construction management class. He gave me a kiss goodbye at 7:30 am, and then left. I fell back asleep. At 8:38 a.m. I woke up to the worst contraction in the world. (well, to me it was haha). I couldn't move. At first, I thought it was just intense indigestion.. like bad poo pains (tmi) so after it passed a little, I went and tried to go to the bathroom. When I reached the bathroom, like two feet away from our room, I had to stop moving, because another pain came. I figured it was contractions. I decided to start writing them down. I made my way back to bed, and got a notebook out. I called Kevin and told him something was happening.. that today was the day! I told him I would call him when I knew more and not to worry or come home until he got his presentation done. Within an hour, I had 14 really intense contractions. They first started out at 5 minutes apart, then 4, then 3. I knew something was happening. My water had not broken, but these contractions hurt so bad, I felt like I had a cyst exploding. I called my mom, who told me to call my doctor, who told me to go ahead and go into labor and delivery. I called my mom again, and asked her to come pick me up and take me to the hospital since Kevin was at school. She came right over, and I really struggled to even walk out to the car! I kept having to pause and bend over during contractions.

I was kinda bummed because the night before I took a shower and washed my hair, but decided to let it air dry curly. When I got up it was like all over the place and not cute at all... so sadly I had to go into labor looking like death. Haha.

So my mom drove me over to UVRMC (which is only 3 minutes from our apartment) and we made our way up to the 5th floor. It was 10:15 am. I hardly made it up there! I texted Kevin and told him that my mom had taken me to the hospital. He said "what! When were you going to tell me you were on your way?" I told him I didn't want to stress him out because I knew I would have to be on the monitor before they would officially admit me. He said as soon as his presentation was over, he would come. They got me hooked up to the machine and checked me. I was dilated to a 3 and 80% effaced. If your water hasn't broken, they hook you up to the monitor and see if you make any progress over an hours time, and if you haven't, they don't admit you usually. Luckily (not sure if thats the right word haha), my contractions were super strong and were definitely doing something. An hour later, my nurse came in and checked me and said I was at a 3 1/2. At this point I really really wanted an epidural. I hadn't yelled or screamed or made any noise during the last hour. My mom just sat by my side and every time I had a contraction, she would rub my arm and tell me to breath. She would tell me to relax my eyebrows, my mouth, my shoulders my hands... and that really helped. I was impressed with how calm I was. I would not have been that calm if my mom wasn't there. Kevin got there around 12:30. He looked pretty nervous, but I think he was excited. He sat down next to my mom and they whispered for the next little while as I was trying to concentrate through my contractions that were 2 minutes apart. The next hour, I had only progressed by another half a centimeter. They said when I got to a 4 1/2 they would give me an epidural. Oh how I was praying to get there ASAP!! *im warning you, I do not look good in these pictures haha!*


By this time, I had already thrown up 3 times. The contractions were so intense that it made me sooo sick. I hadn't eaten anything that day either, and i'm sure that didn't help. I was really really dehydrated, so when they tried to give me an I.V, it wasn't happening. I got poked 7 times, by 4 different people.They blew 4 veins. I just wanted my I.V. in because they said they would give me a little bit of pain medicine to help me out before my epidural came so I could relax. Once they got it in, I got my medicine, and for about a half an hour, it helped. The nurse came in at that time and noticed I had progressed to a 4 1/2 and was 100% effaced. YAY! I could finally get my epidural. 

letting out air during a contraction. 

my awesome nurse Mandy, helping me turn to my side for the epidural. 

my favorite guy, because he had the drugs... haha

the epidural all in. 

After I got my epidural, and it started to kick in about 10 minutes later, my room became the party room! My best friend Ally showed up (I wanted her to be there) and I could actually talk. The epidural didn't fully take on my right side for a few hours, but luckily my epidural was great. I couldn't feel my contractions at all, but I could move my legs and feet pretty good. It was kind of a weird sensation. My brother lance called me right after I got my epidural and while I was on the phone with him, I heard a "POP", then felt warm water... haha, my water had broken! I said "Uh, lance, I think my water just broke... I gotta go!" I don't think he will ever forget that conversation.. poor guy. I am glad my water broke AFTER I got my epidural!

The doc came in to check me and laughed because I was laughing and talking and having a good time. We told her before I had my epidural I was silent and focused and didn't say a word, and thats when she laughed! She said "What? Gillian not talking?!" Hahaha, luckily my mom caught a picture of her laughing about it. 

From that point on, things went pretty fast. I got the epidural around 2:30, water broke about 15 to 30 minutes after that, then we partied some more. 
The part I waited for 9 months!!! Lime flavored pebbled ice! Oh how much happiness it brought me.  (can you see the huge bruise on my hand already?!)


I was my RN's only patient that day. Lucky me! She was amazing and spent so much time taking great care of me. 

Kevin sat by my side and held my hand and gave me kisses. I love that man!

My nurse had to write happy birthday!

Me and the bestie! So glad she was there with me, thank you Ally!!
Kevin's mom and dad headed over to wait to see the baby. They got there around 7:15 and I started pushing a  few minutes after that. They waited in the waiting room. 
 By 7:00 I was a 10, and ready to push! I was so excited. They told me first babies usually take between 1-3 hours to push out... 
Kevin had to drink some soda to make sure he had some sugar in him... don't want him passing out! haha

my 'im ready!' face

my lover man before I started pushing.

When I started pushing, Kevin held my head or hand while Ally and my mom took turns holding my leg. I pushed 3 times every contraction. My contractions were 1 1/2 minutes apart...you can imagine how tired I got since I pushed for 2 hours!



Half way through, I had to get oxygen. I had come down with a bad cold that week so I could not breathe, and was getting a bad headache. The oxygen gave me more energy and I was ready to push again!

The doctor kept telling me how much hair the baby had, I didn't want a mirror though because I thought it would distract me and make me feel sick... so I just pushed!

About a half hour before I was finished pushing, I started feeling more pain. My epidural was starting to wear off a little. Her head was crowned for like 20 minutes and that really made it uncomfortable..
at 9:14, she finally came. 

It was a feeling I will never forget. Not only was I so happy she was there, but I felt the spirit so strong and was also overwhelmed. It was a mixed feeling that I can't really explain. I was so tired, but they put her on my belly and the minute I saw her I shed a few tears. I couldn't believe Kev and I made her! She had so much hair. I couldn't believe how lucky we were to be given one of God's greatest creations. I couldn't believe it was over, and that she was here.

Here is is when they first put her on my tummy. I hate all the yucky stuff on them, haha. Her eyes were wide awake, but she wasn't breathing. She was totally blue as well, and it really scared me. But, I was so overwhelmed and had a million things going on that I really didnt even notice that something was wrong...

Aparently, the doctor hurried and cut the chord without even asking Kevin if he wanted to cut it. Kevin said that's when he knew something was wrong. When she first came out, she wasn't breathing or crying. Once they put her on my chest, she cried a little, and because of that I thought it seemed normal. When she was on my chest, the nurse pushed the button to call in the respiratory team (which I didn't notice). I barely got to see/hold her for one minute then they took her away..

Here I was after pushing and she was there. sooo tired. 

The team working on my babe. They tried to blow oxygen in her face but she wasn't really responding. They noticed her respiratory rate was 100, and its only supposed to be between 40 and 60. Her poor little chest was retracting really bad and so after they cleaned her up a tiny bit and weighed her, they whisked her away to the NICU before I got a chance to kiss or hold her. :(


Born 2-29-12 at 9:14 pm, weighing 7lbs 12 oz. and 19 1/2 inches long 

My little leap year baby! Every 4 years, shes going to get a rockin bday party. :)

After they took her away, Kevin went out to go up to the NICU to check on her. My mom left to go home since it was snowing so bad and she had to get home before it got too bad, but Ally stayed for a bit. I am glad she was in the room with me because once everyone left I felt so alone and sad. I just had my baby and all I wanted to do was hold her. I had been so excited to see her for 9 months and she was finally here, but I couldn't hold her! I started to cry a little because now I had realized that something may be wrong health wise with her... and all I wanted was to hold Kevin's hand and have him tell me that our sweet baby girl was going to be ok. Ally was great and really helped comfort me. I don't think it had all settled in yet, so the tears weren't too bad. The nurse came in and cleaned me up really good, then Kevin came down and updated me. Mia wasn't breathing that well so they put a C-PAP machine on her. She would hopefully start breathing better and be to our room later that night. Then around 10 or 10:30 they wheeled me into my new room. 

We got in our room and I realized my nurse was Brittney Jensen Dame! I was so excited. I went to high school with her (She is a year older) and I was glad to see a familiar face, although I felt bad she had to help me go to the bathroom and all that fun stuff :) Haha. She was so nice, and infact, totally spoiled me. Thanks Brittney! You are such a great nurse! When I went to the bathroom the first time, I was so nervous that it would sting.. but luckily it wasn't that bad. I did tear in delivery, in two places. I got a 2nd degree tear and had 7 stitches for that and then tore in another spot, but don't know how many stitches I had for that one. So I really thought going to the bathroom would be terrible.. but it wasn't too bad. 

After that, Kevin and I were starving, but since it was so late, the dining services were closed. Brittney said she would see what she could round up, and she ended up bringing us both turkey sandwiches, chips, chocolate cake, apple juice, yogurt, and tons of crackers and cookies! I was in heaven. I hadn't eaten for over 24 hours! They gave me some meds too, Motrin, a stool softener, an iron supplement since my hemoglobin was an 8, and some percocet. I was so grateful for that percocet for a few days...

After we ate, we called up to the NICU. By now it was about 12, and they said they were going to take her off the CPAP machine and see how she did on her own. If she did ok, they were going to send her down and let her be with us. YAY! Around 12:45, Brittney came in and told us they were sending her down and that they were going to do her bath and some other things in the nursery. She asked if we would like to come along. Of course we were tired but wouldn't miss it for the world! 

I was so overjoyed to see her and hold her little hand. It was fun to watch her get her first bath and pick out a bow for her hair. She was so sleepy, and didn't even cry when they gave her the first vaccination. 

After the nursery, we took her back to our room where I first attempted to breast feed her. She latched right on, but it hurt a little.. haha. We decided to send her to the nursery to be kept an eye on that night because she had been in NICU and I wanted to make sure everything was totally ok with her, as well as I wanted to get some sleep. 

I still have lots more story left since she ended up having to go to the NICU again, but since the rest of it is NICU stuff, so I will make a separate post about that. 

I loved my entire experience that day. It was long, but amazing. I had a great doctor, great nurses, and great support from family and friends. Most of all, I was blessed with a sweet little girl whom I will forever cherish and love for the rest of eternity! We love her so so much, and have really been abundantly blessed. She is by far the most amazing thing that has ever happened to Kevin and I. We couldn't be happier. 

Thanks again to everyone who has visited and sent flowers, and brought dinner so far. We have really appreciated it. 





I love being a mommy. I cant think of anything else I would want to do more in this life. 

8 comments:

Seth and Natalie said...

Gillian, I am so thrilled for you and your cute little baby. She definitely looks like your side of the family, and she is beautiful beautiful! I'm so glad everything went so well for you, and am SO glad that Mia is home and doing good now. Congratulations on your daughter!

Jess said...

I agree with the above, little Mia looks just like your side! She is adorable. :) I'm so sorry for the hardships you've had and I'm SO glad she is out of the NICU! We are keeping you and your little family in our prayers. If you need anything, don't hesitate to ask! :)

Jacob and Melanie Hopkinson said...

Thanks for helping prepare me for what's to come! It scared me a little, but that's alright... :) I'm so sorry you had to be away from her, but I'm glad she is doing better! She is so beautiful! Congrats again!

Bre And Drew said...

so so happy for you guys! And I thought you looked really pretty in those pictures! I'm sure you felt gross but seriously, your skin is so perfect! Your face was like glowing (that sounds cheesy but I don't know how to describe it!)

Kira said...

awwwwwww precious! You're so good at keeping this documented.. and I too am grateful for all the details so when I do have a baby.. Ill know! :) She is SO cute! I really like how you said you felt the spirit.. I am sure nothing is more powerful. You will be a great mommy and your pictures you look just fine! Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!!!

Andrea said...

What a sweetheart! Congratulations!

Dave and Tana said...

She is so so pretty! I am jealous of the lime flavored ice...that is so cool! I loved reading your story, they never get old. I am def. Going to call you soon too!

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! I went to nursing school with Amanda! She is such a sweetheart. I love your story and Mia is adorable. Congrats!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...