Tuesday, February 14, 2012

our love story {from HER side of the story} part one

I don't think I have ever shared our 'full' love story of how Kev and I came to be. I have been thinking about it alot lately and since today is Valentines Day, I figured I could remissness on our love story from the beginning. *this will be a long post...* I will try to break up the story in parts.

sometime in 2006 
It all started in Young Womens. I was a Laurel, and going to be turning 18 that year in December. I don't remember when this all took place exactly.. Kevin has a sister named Wendy. She happened to be serving in Young Womens in my ward and one day said "you need to date my little brother when he gets home from his mission!" When he came home I would be graduated and have a year of college (hair school) under my belt. He left in Jan. 2006 to Detroit, MI and would be returning Jan. 2008. I laughed, and joked with her that I would go on a date with him when he came home. I thought well, Wendy is just so fun and cool, I am sure her brother is cool too :) After that day, I never thought about it again. At the time I was dating someone from Elk Ridge that I worked with and I planned on sort of 'waiting' for him while he was on his mission. He still had a year before he was to go on his mission so I wasn't too worried about it. Like I said, I never thought about that conversation again...

this is what I looked like in 2006:

beginning of summer of 2008 
The guy I was dating had left on his mission and had been out for 8 or 9 months now. We had broken up before he left and had a little bit of drama in our relationship, so I told him I would not wait for him, but I hoped to be available when he came home. We wrote each other very often and I was almost convinced he was the person I was meant to marry. We wrote very seriously and loved eachother and he especially wanted to marry me when he got home. Although my feelings were really strong for him, I knew dating others while he was gone was important because If I did end up being around when said missionary got home, I wanted to make sure I did everything possible to make sure he would be 'the one' compared to other men I dated. So, this is where Kevin comes into the story...

this is what I looked like summer of 2008


Randomly, on a day in June 2008 (I can't remember the exact date sadly) I get a phone call from a number I don't recognize. I normally don't answer numbers I don't know, but I picked it up anyway. Here is conversation:

me: hello?
kevin: hi! this is Kevin Mohlman, Wendy Mohlman's brother. She gave me your number.
me: uh...Wendy who? (here I am trying to list all the Wendy's I know and I didn't know a wendy with that last name...
kevin: oh, Sorry, I mean Wendy McCarthy. I forget her married name. 
me: OOOOhhh... yea I know her! Sorry took me a minute there... (thinking- so her brother is off his mission! how funny that he is calling me!)
kevin: Ya.. so, I was wondering if I could take you out on a date sometime? My sister told me about you and I thought it would be fun if we could maybe double with Wendy and her husband Sean sometime. 
me: sure! I love wendy! 
kevin: great, well would you like to go this weekend? Maybe dinner and miniature golf?
me: ya that sounds really fun. 
kevin: ok, do you want to just meet me at her house on saturday at 5 and we can all go from there?
me: (thinking, um ok... he isn't going to pick me up?) sure sounds like a plan. (wendy's back yard practically links with my parents back yard so really it was no big deal to walk over there haha..)
kevin: ok sounds great, see you this weekend! thanks!
me: ya! see you soon. 

ok. so first thoughts. 1-I can't believe he really called. 2-why do I have butterflies when I don't even know him or what he looks like? 3-I like the sound of his voice.... 4-panic... maybe I am not ready for a blind date?! what about missionary??......

so as the week goes on, all I kept thinking is 'i dont know if I Can do this...'. I ended up texting him to cancel (I made up some horrible excuse to why I couldn't go) I remember feeling SOOOO guilty after I clicked send on the text.. but he texted back and said we could go another time.

a week goes by, and all I could think about was how bad I felt for canceling our date. It seemed unfair for me not to give him a chance. I was hoping he would call again, but really didn't think he would.

Surprise, he called! This time I made sure not to cancel. :)

So, now it's about mid-June when our first date came to be. I remember exactly what I was wearing. Light blue wash of jeans, and a pink blouse with ruffles on the front. I wore white and pink flowered flat shoes. :) I was so nervous I was shaking. I left the house early thinking it would be better to show up to Wendy's early and relax a little bit before he showed up. The back of her house is like diagonal from the back of my parents, so I went through our back yards. As I walked around the corner from behind Wendy's house, There was Kevin, getting out of his car (a shiny silver subaru) looking REALLY cute. I was pleasantly surprised. I stopped in my tracks before he could see me and almost turned around... I was literally thinking that he was way too cute for me. But, I kept walking. We met up half way through the driveway and the first thing I noticed was his GORGEOUS smile and eyes. I was so nervous so all I could do was put my hand out to shake his and introduce my self. I asked "so, are you Kevin?" um, DUH GILLIAN!! haha. Our hands touched to shake and it sent butterflies up my spine. We walked up to the front door together without saying much. Now if you know me, you know that I am very outgoing and talk alot- sometimes too much. Well, Kevin, as proved that night, was the complete opposite of me! He literally didn't say a word. We sat in the back of the FJ that Sean and Wendy drove as we went to dinner. It was mostly Wendy and I talking. It was a little awkward because how do you ask all these get to know you questions about someone you have never met before and are going on a date with, if his big sister is in the car? We went to Mi Rancharito and quickly I could tell this date was going to be a dud because he wasn't talking at all. It was at dinner that I decided that I was just going to have fun, be myself, and not be nervous. At this point I knew (or thought) he would never ask me out again because he was obviously not interested in me. I had fun catching up with Wendy and talked the dinner away with her. I kind of pretended Kevin wasn't there... At the end of dinner, Kevin went to go pay with Sean and Wendy said "I don't know why he is being so shy! Just give him time, he will warm up." Inside I really hoped he would, but seriously doubted it.

After we left dinner, Sean announced that we WERE going to go miniature golfing, but that their stove had broken down and he needed to go to home depot to get the part he needed to fix it. It needed to be fixed because I think they were having a family dinner there the next day. So, off to Provo we went, driving in semi silence (at least on Kevin's part). I really didn't mind that we were going to home depot because I wasn't trying to impress Kevin anymore. We walked around home depot for maybe 20 minutes, then hopped back in the FJ. Sean and Wendy suggested that we get icecream to take home and then go play some games at their house for the rest of the night. We agreed. When we went to Macey's to get the icecream, Kevin and I stayed in the car. We were finally alone! That is when he finally started talking to me. We had a good long conversation. I can't remember what it was about but I remember feeling better about our date and thinking that I was starting to crush on this guy... We got back to Elk Ridge and played on the Wii for a long time. That is when we really loosened up and started to have fun. I think mostly because Sean and Wendy were kind of doing their own thing (fixing the stove) while we were playing. At the end of the night, I was really crushing on Kevin and hoped he would offer to drive me home and walk me to the door. (Just so we could be alone.) Surprisingly, he did! He gave me a ride and in the car he said "i'm so sorry I was so quiet. It was just weird having my sister there. I would love to take you out again, just me and you if that's ok." Inside, I was literally screaming with joy, who knows why, but I calmly said "ya, I would like that. I had fun!" He walked me to the front door and gave me a HUGE hug. It literally sent shocks up my body. I dont know why but I had a permagrin after our date. He said he would call me to set up a date again soon, so I was hoping to hear from him in a few days.

I layed awake all night it seems like just replaying our date. I was totally myself the whole time, so that means I could continue to be myself since he seemed to like me enough to ask me out again! Haha. What silly thoughts I had...

A few days go by.

A week goes by.

Two weeks go by.

Ok, this boy is never going to call me again. I am not going to call or text him.. I am going to forget about it and just have fun. I kind of couldnt believe that he hadn't called me yet because he seemed so excited to take me out again. Oh well.

In the meantime, I had started hanging out with this guy I knew from High School that was a little older than me. We kinda started liking eachother, but Kevin was always on my mind! We started going on dates and hanging out more frequently and I didn't feel too guilty because I had only gone out with Kevin once.

July 2008 is now here. 
Surprise! He called me again! Oh how I leaped for joy when I saw his name on my cell calling. He asked me to come to an outdoor movie in Springville at the park with him. I thought- well, I love movies... and usually cuddling comes with movies.. haha, so of course I wanted to go. I told him yes, and I ended up driving out there to meet him at his house. We took some blankets and candy to go watch the movie and the WHOLE night, I was just waiting for him to hold my hand. I know, a little early to expect that, but I was so giddy about him for some reason! So giddy that I didnt even think about the missionary once during the night... Sadly, he never cuddled me or held my hand, but we still talked and flirted and got to know eachother more. I was falling FAST.

He didn't set up another date with me right off the bat that night but he did say he wanted to hang out again. Of course I said yes, and so after that night, I patiently waited for him to call.

One week goes by.

Two weeks go by.

What the heck? Why hasn't he called me yet?

Then guilt set in a little. Why was I thinking about Kevin so much when I was starting to date this other guy I knew from high school? The other guy (name shall be T for now) and I kissed and were casually dating and kissing every once in a while. I know, hussy status on my part... But, I wanted Kevin to call.

Part two coming tomorrow...

3 comments:

Jess said...

Is it pathetic that I am dying to read Part 2 and yet I know that obviously you got married and are having a baby next month? :)

Christene said...

Are you going to make Kevin tell his side? I think that would be funny to see the differences.

Kira said...

I agree with Christene! Make Kevin tell the other side!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...