Sunday, January 16, 2011

Love is in the air

I honestly can't believe that January is half way through. I sure did slack off when getting the Christmas tree down this year and just wasn't ready to move on to a new holiday. But, once I put some new decor up, I was happy! (I like change.)

Last week, I went up to West Jordan to craft with my sister in law Jen- a crafty genius- (too bad she doesn't blog about all her crafty things...) I don't have hardly any vday decorations so we decided to make some vday blocks. I got the wood from Kevins work. If any of you want dimensions, I can get them for you. 

Here is what you will need:
Scrapbook paper
Embellishments
Brown distressing ink
Some letters cut out either by your self or by a cricut/silhouette
Mod podge
Acrylic paint- I used 'linen'
sponge paint brushes

First, decide what you want it to say. Since its V day, here are a few sayings:

Be mine
Love
Ps, I love You
Sweetheart
In Love
Hugs
Kisses
Hugs and Kisses
xoxo
True Love
J'adore
J'aime



  • I chose the simple word of Love. You can use all heights and sizes of blocks. I think thats what makes it fun. 
  • First, sand your wood. I rounded my edges a slight bit. Then, paint the blocks. 
  • You will then measure your paper how you want it on (I wanted my paint to show a little so I made the paper smaller than the block) 
  • Ink the edges of the paper
  • Mod podge the paper on- Make sure to get out any bubbles you see. I used the edge of a block to smooth it out perfectly.
  • I cut out my words on the cricut (my sister in law has one) using a heart for the O. So, the next step is to cut out your words, ink them, and mod podge them on as well. 
  • When done with that, embellish the blocks. You could use fabric, buttons, rhinestones, ribbon, anything! get creative. 


I didn't add a lot of embellishments because my paper is already so busy and cute; I didn't want to take away from the paper. 

I made another set of blocks-  I just bought some scrapbook paper from roberts (it was the brand pebbles) that had these little 'be mine' 'you melt my heart' and 'love' squares that I could just pop out. I bought them a looong time ago, so I don't think they still have them. I just painted my wood, and mod podged them on, and  sanded the edges a little. The X and O were cut out from a cricut and then I sanded the top of the paper after I mod podged them so they would have a distressed look.


There are so many options when it comes to wood blocks. The way you set them up, the sizes and sayings, and that's why I love them so much! I hope you all enjoyed this tutorial- and that you will go out and make your own! 

All in all, I already had all of the things I used except for the scrapbook paper in the first set of blocks. So, I spend probably $1.50 on this project!


6 comments:

Mod Podge Amy said...

These are the cutest blocks ever!

Clare G said...

I have to agree with Amy these are really some of the cutest blocks I've seen. Thanks for sharing them!

Amy said...

Very adorable, I am very in love with it! I may have to copy you.... if you don't mind!

Kayla said...

Super Cute!! I love your blocks!!!

I think they are adorable!!!

Michelle said...

This is so cute! I found your blog from someday crafts link party! If you have some time check out my blog!

I am hosting a craft night next friday so you should come if you want to do some super cute crafts!

- Michelle @ Bunch of Craft

Lorie said...

Those are prefect for Valentine's Day! I love them. Thanks for linking up to Show and Tell Saturday!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...