Sunday, January 2, 2011

Burlap Wreath

During the Christmas break, I got crazy on crafting! I got a lot done. I have been wanting to make this project forever. My sister in law had a wreath like this that she made on her door and I fell in love with it. Hers was better than mine and a little bigger but I thought I would give it a try. I love how it turned out. BTW- this is a no sew project. Super easy and quick!! 


You will need:
  • Hot glue gun
  • Burlap
  • Buttons
  • Styrofoam green wreath from dollar store
  • scissors
  • fabric flowers to embellish wreath with


So, Here's how to make it! First off, buy a Styrofoam green wreath from the dollar store. I forgot to take a picture of it before I covered it, but here it is. I used hot glue to keep the burlap on. 

cut some strips out of burlap. I didn't use much burlap. I'm sorry I honestly just had some scraps and don't know exactly how much I used, but its cheap, so just get a quarter of a yard.

Then, cut more strips (all about the same size, about 3 inches wide) and put hot glue down and start gathering the fabric to make it look like a ruffle. 

If you turn it around, it will look like this in the front.

Continue doing this to the rest of the wreath. 

Here it is all done with the ruffle. Make sure the strips you cut out for the ruffles are all the same. I didn't cut them all the exact same so some sides look longer than others.. 

I then made a few flowers. two yo-yo flowers and one felt flower. I added buttons that matched, and then glued all of them on the wreath.

I had a wreath holder but it didn't look good on it, so I got some matching fabric I had and sewed the two sides together, cut a tiny hole in the back, and hung it on the hook we had on our door. 

Soo cute! I just love it!

close up of the flowers. 

there she is, in all her glory. 

Hope you all enjoyed! Get your craft on!

Its So Very CheriMakingSumo Sweet Stuff



handmade projects



Get Your Craft On Tuesday







6 comments:

Dave and Tana said...

Super cute! Your front door always has something fun on it.

Clint and Gillian said...

Totally adorable! I can't wait to try it!

The Haderlies said...

Gillian - you are so creative! And totally inspire me! I love this!!

AmieAnn said...

This is super cute! I love the nuetral color of the wreath and the pop of color from the flowers! Hope you will share with my Pink Hippo Party @ http://pinkapotamus.blogspot.com/2011/01/pink-hippo-party-10.html

chelsey said...

Very cute. I'll maybe try this with a Valentine flair. I bet burlap ribbon would work well too, but then you don't get the frayed edges. Guess that depends on the kind of finish you want. I like the frayed look, so I guess I'll cut mine too.

Amanda said...

I've put together a round up of crafts using burlap on Craft Gossip today and included your project. :) You can see it here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/6-pretty-burlap-projects/

If you would like to share the Craft Gossip love and show your visitors you've been featured, you can grab a button here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...