Monday, May 31, 2010

MOAB

Kevin and I really wanted to get out of this cold weather here in Provo so we packed up and left for Moab, UT on Friday afternoon. He had to work until 3, but we took off right after he got home. It was seriously the best camping trip I have ever been on. I wish I could have stayed a little longer, but we had lots of fun.

I grew up camping quite a bit until my little brother Ammon was born and we couldn't really take him since he is in a wheel chair. Kevin grew up camping a ton too, so we both were in our element and had so much fun. He had been to Moab a few times before, but this was my very first time! It's about 3 1/2 hours from here and it's a fun little town! The Green River flows right through it and it has red rock everywhere you turn. Arches and Canyonlands National Parks are right by/in the town and there are lots and LOTS of bike and jeep trails. There are also a ton of camping spots.

This was taken right as we were getting to Moab. Such a pretty drive down HWY 6 and 191. 
This is a picture of the Green River right as you come up the canyon by the campgrounds.

We werent sure if we would be able to find a camping spot or not. It's Memorial Day weekend and we knew it would be busy, so we really hoped to find one. We didn't end up leaving Provo till 4:45 and we got to Moab sometime around 8 PM. We first drove up the canyon with the river next to it to find a spot. We drove 15 miles and no campgrounds were empty! So frustrating. We then went to Slick Rock and drove all up it and found nothing but an overflow campground. There was only one car there so we got out and made camp.

The next morning when we got up, (at like 7 or 8) we ate breakfast and then went to Arches National Park. Gosh, it's SOOO pretty there. I loved it. We decided to do Delicate Arch, a 3 mile hike, before it got too hot. We got to the park at 9AM and got on our way. It was perfect weather. In the low 70's with quite a breeze. There were a lot of people hiking it, but it wasn't too bad. This picture below is a picture of us looking up the HUGE hill. At the top of the hill was about half way. That hill KICKED my butt.It's a lot steeper than it looks.


We were almost there!!


I think my man is sexy.

Finally there!

Me and Kev in the famous Delicate Arch. It really is AMAZING and BEAUTIFUL

After this hike, we went and saw a few other places there. I had HUGE blisters on my toes so we tried to take it easy. We went to Balance Rock, which is so cool.




After we went hiking, we went and got some lunch, checked out the arts festival going on in town, and then changed into our swim suits and headed up Mill Creek Canyon. We didn't take my camera with us because we didnt want to get it wet or drop it so I googled pictures of it and these are what I found! This was my favorite part of the trip. Its a super easy 20 minute hike. You follow the river all the way up. The whole way on the hike there are spots to get in and play in the water. But, we wanted to go up top where the waterfall and swimming holes were. When we got up top, there are cliffs people jump off into the water. It's probably only 7 or 8 feet deep so you have to be super careful where you jump becuase it's only deep in one spot. I guess one of the guys who jumped off broke his leg and we saw EMT carying him down. He was hooked up to an IV and everything... yea, pretty scary. Needless to say we didnt jump off any cliffs...


At the top of the waterfall, there are swimming holes up there too. So fun!! I totally wanted to stay all day. The water wasn't even that cold.


We then went and changed our clothes, and went into town for dinner at Eddie McStiff's. Not very good food. Just sayin'. But we only paid 17.00 for our dinner. We both got pretty burned. My shoulders are the worst.





All in all I had such a good time, and I loved it. I loved everything about it. We did smores and I totally burned every marshmellow I touched, but I love them that way :) 

If anyone wants to come with us, we are going to go again in July and would love to take some people with us. We are going to take bikes too. We couldn't take bikes this time because the doc didn't want me to with my hand yet. But next time, we will!! I LOVE MOAB! 


6 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

I've been to Canyonlands, Arches, and Moab. I loved the hike to Delicate Arch. In fact, I love hiking on sandstone and bouldering everywhere. I've only been down there in October and can't imagine Moab in July is very comfortable.

Glad you guys had a great trip! -Jess

Chelsea Hope said...

So fun! And cute to have a little get-a-way just you two! Eric and I are hoping to do this soon!

Tana said...

Fun! Dave and I did that trip the last August we were out there it was one of the funnest I have ever been on. It is so pretty out there and hicking around it is a blast. I am super jealous, but glad to see all the pics!

The Duke said...

Looks like you had a lot of fun. I'll have to travel down there sometime in the spring (or winter). You wouldn't catch me dead down there in July - it's very, very hot in the summertime in Moab. It's only for those like you that love heat. :)

chelsey said...

Looks like you had tons of fun! I wish I'd gone down there to do that hike while we lived there. I always regret it!

Mike and Adrianne said...

We drove to Arches when we drove to Utah from Oklahoma. It was so beautiful. I wish we had more time to visit while we were there. What a fun trip for you guys.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...