Thursday, March 25, 2010

Toilet Paper Roll Frame

Would you believe it if I told you that the flowers on the frame below were made with toilet paper rolls? Well you better believe it! Ally and I had been saving up some toilet paper rolls so we could make this. I guess I can share the tutorial with it. :)


Save up your toilet paper rolls. Clean them off really good.

Find a frame that you like and spray paint it. I didn't do the best job spray painting it because I wanted to distress mine. If you don't want to distress yours, make sure you do it good.  I got this frame at D.I. for a dollar. I love it because it has such character and I love all the lines!! 

Cut the toilet paper rolls into even parts. (All you have to do is kind of flatten the roll and cut vertically.) Pick out some cute acrylic paints and paint the inside and outside of the parts you cut. (yep, my husband surprised this picture on me.)

My best friend Ally did the craft with me :)

After the paint dries a little, bend each one together to make them more of a pointy/oval/flower petal shape.

I used a glue gun to make a flower. You can do whatever design you want though. 

Glue on the flowers to the frame. You can add ribbons, buttons, any embelishments  you want. (Oh, you can distress the frame like I did as well.)

Then, add a picture! That's a picture of me and my two best friends at my wedding. 

I LURVE how it turned out. I want to make more! I want to experiment with sizes and designs. It was fun. Thanks Ally for the idea!


The Girl Creative

14 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

That's super cute, Gillian! You are so crafty! -Jen

Mike and Adrianne said...

Awesome...simple and cute and something I can do.

Debbie Barr said...

Love it! I think I saw someone do a lampshade with those, but now I can't find the link. Oh well. It's such a fun idea!

The Duke said...

That really is cute. I wish I was the kind of person that could come up with such simple but cute ideas.
Hey -- are you using all my buttons? Give them back! You start your own collection!!!

Laura said...

This is so adorable. I want to try thi!!

chelsey said...

Very cute Gilly! Love your creative juices flowing! Keep them coming. I could teach this one to Sarah! She'd love this idea too!

Gillian and Kevin Mohlman said...

Yea, try it out and take some pictures! I would love to see what you can come up with!

Andy Porter said...

Wow! What a great way to use those things!! The flowers are totally cute!

Thanks for linking!

Andy
Poppies at Play

Krista@thegatheringplacedesign said...

Really cute! I would have never guessed you made those flowers from toilet paper rolls! I love re-purposing...great job. :) This would be fun to do with my girls. Thanks for your visit to my blog and your sweet comment!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I am loving all the toilet paper crafts out there. This is no exception. Very cute and I love the color!

michelle@somedaycrafts said...

I am featuring this at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

Susan said...

Absolutely adorable!

Now, how close are we to having some empty toilet paper rolls? I'm going to look right now!

J's mom said...

Just in case you haven’t seen it yet, Stopping by to let you know you’ve been featured at
http://diycraftstomake.blogspot.com/2012/03/40-fun-toilet-paper-roll-craft-projects.html

Danielle Hunter said...

So pretty! You and your best friend look like you had a great time making the frame. Feel free to link it up to my Toilet Paper Roll Challenge for a chance to win some goodies! http://ecoscrapbook.blogspot.com/2012/04/calling-all-crafters-link-up-your.html

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...