Friday, March 19, 2010

Taking a risk...

So, today I thought I would take a risk. A lot of you haven't really heard me sing... so I thought I would post one of my videos. I have been posting videos on youtube to get feedback on my voice for a few years now. I will post a video of me singing in January of this year, and one of me singing in Jan of last year. I guess we can see how my voice has changed. I would love any feedback and whatnot.

I am getting ready to go record with someone in a few weeks. His name is Lew Wolford. He recorded all of our choir CD's and I know him really well. I have recorded solos with him before so he said he would give me a good deal. So far I decided on two songs- Many the Miles by Sara Bareilles and My Destiny by Katharine McPhee. I still haven't decided what other songs to do. Any suggestions? I have to do something that will showcase my voice. Maybe vanishing by Mariah Carey? I love that song. Anyway, I also found a writer that said she will write me a church song. If not her, I will go through Keaton Anderson, who I went to school with. He is AMAZING. You need to check out his music. He writes music for movies (like the music scores) and he is really good. His website is: http://www.keaton-anderson.com/. Seriously. Check it out. Anyway, here are my two videos. Don't make fun of me. Haha. I know this is really funny that I post videos on there. But, I do, and thats me so get over it.





So, you think I can make it in the music world? It's my dream... someday. Wish we had lots of extra money for me to go to voice lessons..

7 comments:

Jess said...

You've improved a lot from the Seasons of Love to the Defying Gravity. Oh man, that last note? COLD CHILLS!!!! You sound great! I would get a minus track though, so people can hear more of YOU than the original artist...you sound a-MAZ-ing!! :D

The Duke said...

Second song is definitely my favorite of the two - your last notes were really clear and good. It was a bad place to record because there was a lot of echo and it was distracting. I can't wait to hear what you record with Lew.

Lokodi said...

I second both of those last comments. You are quite amazing. I actually listened to this on youtube before you even put this up on your blog. I let my friend listen to it before I told her who you were. While she was listening to it, she kept saying, "wow! this girl is amazing!". I beamed with pride when I got to tell her that was my sister. :) You definately need a different track when you sing defying gravity. You can hear the original singer too much. The echo of the place was a little distracting too. Other than that, pretty awesome.

I would like to say I think you should come up with your own version of these songs you sing. You need to distinguish yourself from the original artists. Put your own style into it. Change some of the notes around, etc. People have a hard time seeing the value of a voice if they are constantly compairing it to the original artist who sang the song. If you can change it up, they will listen to the voice and the talent and diffence you have to offer them. I don't know if this is making any sense, but I hope it helps. You are amazing and I wish I had even half your talent. Good luck with the recording. It's lots of fun!

Lindsey

Jess and Jen said...

Gillian, you are AMAZING! I like Seasons of Love because I could hear you much better, but I LOVE Defying Gravity and want to hear you sing that next time I see you! The girls and I all listened to you together and we loved it!

Lindsey, none of you Clark girls are lacking in talent! You are all great! -Jen

Amanda said...

WOW, you are simply amazing Gillian. Seriously, I miss your voice. I always knew you would go far with it. So go for it! You deserve it..

Lanie Ree said...

Hi. I'm Helena. I've been following your blog for a while. And, um, you have an amazing voice. That first song was my favorite.

Gillian and Kevin Mohlman said...

Oh my- you guys are all so nice. Thanks for the kind words and suggestions. I still have ALOT to work on, but it's nice to know I am kind of on the right path... :) Thanks for cheering me on!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...