Friday, February 26, 2010

Laugh when you can, Apologize when you should.

Today I found this quote and thought I would share. I have been thinking about it a lot. What does it mean to do all those things? How can you do all those things?  Some of them are hard. Forgive quickly, take chances, have no regrets. I can tell you already that the only thing I am good at in that last sentence is forgiving quickly. Everyone has regrets. But, while reading this, I was thinking, dang. I wish I didn't. I think it's almost impossible to live without regrets. You would have to be perfect. I regret every mean thing I said, every wrong turn I made, every bad grade I got... there is a lot. I would love to say I didn't have any regrets though. So, maybe at least I can try to not have any regrets. Because then, at at least, I tried.

What about taking chances? Ok, so I'm a little better at that one. Yea, I went to hair school. I took my tests for it. I got married. I sang solos. I went on spontaneous vacations. I have done lots of "chance taking" things. But- do any of those really mean taking chances? I think marriage qualified. But what about embracing my calling at church. (Picture Directory Maker. I hate this calling. SO hard and time consuming... and I have to make a new one each month.) I wish I never took that chance and accepted that calling sometimes. Haha, no, I am glad I have a calling. I just can't see why I got that. I would have much rather been in compassionate service. Infact, I wish I was. Or Activities chairman or something. That would be fun. What are some big chances you have taken? Marriage was by FAR the best chance I have taken. It has really worked out well for me and suits us well. I love it. I wonder what other chances will come our way...?

But, I think out of all of these, I have been thinking about "letting go of what you can't change." That one has got to be the hardest thing for me. Things have happened in my past. I have been sad by the choices other people make as well. My best friend's mom left the church after being the Young Womens President and sealed in the temple to her family. I was so sad. I wanted to go back in time and change how things ended up. But- we can't do that for anyone but our self. We can only let go of what happened in the past, and move on. We can only move forward. I have a hard time letting go of things sometimes. Yea, I can forgive you, but I still may not trust you. Is that bad? I don't know.

Also, "give everything" is a phrase I love right there. My older siblings are really good at giving. I know lots of people that are. Giving doesn't have to be in material or physical things, it can be emotional or friendship things, too. I do hope that however, when  get older, that Kevin and I will be well off and be able to give not only emotionally, but spiritually and materially. 

So, life is too short. And I think reading this quote, I was reminded that. To any of you whom I have offended or not given you my all, I apologize and I will try harder. I'm sorry if I didn't apologize when  I should have. I think my next craft will be to get this quote on some type of board and hang it up. What do you think?

Here's another one I like. All I can do is be me, whoever that is. I may not be perfect, and I may not be able to pretend to be someone else, but I know one thing, I am good at being myself, and that is what I will be. Infact, on Kevin and I's first blind date, he didn't talk hardly at all and was really shy so was almost 100% sure he was never going to ask me out again. He seemed dis-interested. Normally, on a first date I would be kind of fake (not really.. just try to impress and make myself look a little better than I really am haha don't we all?) but on this date, I thought there was no way in heck that he would ever ask me out again. So, I decided that I would just throw out any fakeness/trying to impress and be 100% me. So I did. And, I guess that is what attracted him to me. I was loud, laughing, having fun, smiling, and surprisingly, not nervous. So, all I can do is be me, whoever that is.

Sorry for flooding my blog lately. I just find it good therapy to write in it and share my thoughts. It's the only journal writing I am good at.

5 comments:

The Duke said...

Good insights into yourself here, Gillian. We all need to take a better look at who we really are.
As far as your calling goes, this will happen all through your life. We don't really get to choose what we will be given as callings in the church (as you know), but we can choose how well we do our part. You will find amazing things that occur throughout your life as you embrace a calling. It will make a difference or set up a foundation for other things to come. Each calling I've had has helped me increase my testimony and grow in abilities.
You are a fine young woman.

Katie Jeanne said...

i absolutely love this! I posted it on my blog as well. I hope you dont mind : )

Gillian and Kevin Mohlman said...

Katie, Thanks! No, I don't mind. :) Question, I went to your blog and tried to leave a comment, but your blog doesnt allow comments! How come?

Katie Jeanne said...

ok greath thanks : ) oh i have no idea why it was saying that..i went and fixed some settings so hopefully itll work now! lol.

Sinuhe Gonzalez said...

Hola Gillian and Kevin Mohlman. My name is Sinuhe Gonzalez from México.
I just want to say that your blog is one of the most beautiful blogs I have ever seen. I'm sure you two guys share a wonderful love.
Thank you guys I now want to have my own blog! =)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...